Published on February 23rd, 2012 | by adminJohn3
Recipes : Chilli Con Carne
- 2 large onions
- 700 g lean stewing beef, fat removed and cut into 1-2cm cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 800 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 3 green or red chillies, chopped, seeds left in if you like your chillies fiery
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tinned red kidney beans, 400g
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 125 ml soured cream
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 4 tbsp cheddar cheese, grated
Heat the olive oil in a casserole,or saucepan and fry the meat until it changes colour – about 5-7 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and stir for a minute or so before tipping in the tinned tomatoes,chopped chillies, peppers, and a good pinch of salt.
Cover the pan and simmer for about an hour, until the meat is tender and the liquid reduced to a thick sauce. If it gets too dry during cooking, pour in a little more water.
Add the cumin, kidney beans (and a little of the bean liquid,if you like)and the brown sugar. Simmer for a further 10 mins before serving with rice, a spoonful of sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and and coriander leaves as a garnish. For added spicy kick, serve this dish with hot chilli sauce.