0 Flares 0 Flares ×
English: The University of London Institute in...

Image via Wikipedia

Funding your studies at an overseas university

Issues with funding will be different depending on which country you’re planning to go to. Tuition fees could be higher or lower than in the UK, and in some countries there are no tuition fees at all. You shouldn’t count on getting the level of financial support you’d get if you were studying in the UK. Plus, you won’t necessarily be able to work to support yourself. You may also be required to prove that you can support yourself from your own funds. Make sure you’ve worked out how you’re going to fund your studies before you make any applications.

Funding your studies in an EU country

For financial support, you should approach the appropriate agency in the country where you plan to study. You can find out more about financial support in other EU countries on the ‘Your Europe’ website. As a UK citizen you have the right, subject to certain conditions, to study or work in another EU country. You also have the right to be treated equally with domestic students in terms of the course fees you pay. This may not be the case with maintenance grants or other help with living costs. There’s more about these rights in the European Union guide, ‘Studying in another EU country’.

Other sources of funding: grants and scholarships

A few UK charities and educational trusts give grants for overseas study, though the amounts involved tend to be relatively small. You can find out about these from a directory of educational grant-making bodies. There are also overseas bodies which award scholarships – but these tend to be very competitive. The UKCISA website has links to some of these, and UNESCO offers more advice for students looking for a scholarship to study abroad.

Enhanced by Zemanta
Fax Online    Send article as PDF