Published on March 26th, 20120
A Healthy Full English Cooked Breakfast
A greasy spoon’s full English contains a heart-stopping 26g of fat on average. We’ve halved that and then some.
The Healthy Full English (serves one)
2 links of chicken or turkey sausages
2 bacon medallions
1 large handful mushrooms, sliced
1tbsp olive oil
Small tin of reduced sugar and salt baked beans
Splash of Tabasco
1 medium sized tomato, halved
4 big pinches of fresh, chopped parsley
2 organic eggs
Small splash vinegar
Step By Step
- Preheat the grill on a medium setting. Grill your bangers for 10 minutes.Fill a tall saucepan with water, add a pinch of salt and a splash of vinegar (this helps keep the egg white together, you won’t taste it) and bring to the boil. The taller the pot, the further the eggs have to travel to the bottom, creating a perfect rounded shape.
- Splash some olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and once hot, add your mushrooms. They’ll soak up the oil, but won’t stick if you stir them occasionally. Cook for about 7 minutes, until soft.
- Sprinkle your tomato halves with salt, pepper and chopped parsley. Turn the sausages over, add your bacon medallions and tomatoes to the grill and cook for a further 7 minutes.
- Add beans to a saucepan and warm over a medium heat. Add a dash of Tabasco to bump up the flavour.
- Try not to salivate as you turn the bacon over and cook it for a further two minutes.
- Using the same frying pan you used for the mushrooms (transferring them to bowl with plate on top to keep them warm), wipe it with a paper towel and put back on the hob.
- Now that the water for the eggs is boiling, reduce the heat a notch so only very small bubbles make it to the surface (simmer). Break an egg into a bowl, stir the hot water to create a whirlpool effect, and gently slide the egg into the centre of the whirl. Repeat the process for each egg. They will take 3 minutes to cook.
- Remove your eggs from the water with a slotted spoon – dab a kitchen towel underneath to soak up excess water, place on to a warmed plate and add the other ingredients. Tuck in, lie back and think of Britain.