Published on July 1st, 20120
Who Will Win Euro 2012?
It’s here, Spain vs. Italy as the European Championships reach an end as the final gets under way to crown the best European Footballing Nation
for the next couple of years. But who’s going to win it? Spain boss Vicente del Bosque is expected to have a fully-fit squad for the game, but will he play a striker…
This is the 61-year-old’s biggest dilemma. Will he play an out and out striker in the form of Fernando Torres or will he opt for a not so prolific striker Negredo who had a rather quiet outing against Portugal. So, with Fernando Torres seemingly out of favour, and with Fernando Llorente yet to make an appearance at the tournament, Cesc Fabregas could be restored a role up front alongside Andres Iniesta and David Silva.
Italy defender Ignazio Abate, who missed the semi-final win over Germany with a muscle injury, is likely to return to fitness in time for the final, while fellow full-back Christian Maggio is also available after serving a one-match ban. Coach Cesare Prandelli may persist with the same formation that served him well against the Germans rather than revert to the unorthodox 3-5-2 line-up used in the opening match against Spain.
Italy didn’t gain any new information from Spain when the two met in Group C earlier on in the tournament, but that doesn’t necessarily mean Spain gained anything positive either. In fact, they might have picked up some misinformation about their opponents, while Italy learned a lot about their own players – and have gone on leaps and bounds as the tournament has progressed.
Tonight we will be going for a score draw (2-2) by the end of normal time then Italy to nick it in extra time! Or we are simply just hoping for an exciting game rather than a boring Spain passing game.
Expected Starting Lineup Spain - Casillas, Arbeloa, Pique, Ramos, Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta
Expected Starting Lineup Italy - Buffon, Abate, Barzagli, Chiellini, Balzaretti, Marchisio, Pirlo, De Rossi, Montolivo, Balotelli, Cassano
Related articles from the Web
- Euro 2012: Italy 1, Spain 1: Spain Held to Tie by Scandal-Ridden Italy (nytimes.com)
- Italy Vs. Spain, Euro 2012 Final: Players To Watch (sbnation.com)
- Euro 2012 Final: Should Fernando Torres Start Against Italy? (bleacherreport.com)
- Grant Wahl: Spain has chance to make history in Euro 2012 title match (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- Ben Lyttleton: Roller-coaster year for Spain’s Torres ending in another final (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- Jonathan Wilson: Italy-Spain Euro 2012 final promises to be clash of polar opposites (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- Spain’s top five moments at Euro 2012 (lfpress.com)
- Euro 2012: Andrés Iniesta – Spain’s magician, escapologist and chief creator (guardian.co.uk)
- The debate you never thought you’d see: Are world and European champions Spain BORING? (mirror.co.uk)
- Italy bid to topple Spain as European kings (thehimalayantimes.com)