It may seem like the easy option to buy a pack of pancake mix but it is a lot more fun and possibly cheaper to make pancakes from scratch. Another thing to remember is that you can make pancakes from scratch for very little cost. It’s a good idea to get your housemates to chip in all together and you can have good fun making them. As you will see from the ingredients there are a lot of ingredients that you may have lying about in the house already.
This recipe makes 10-12 pancakes
- 110g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 200ml milk (mixed with) 75ml water
- 50g butter
- Optional fillings
Method of Cooking
1. First, you start off by measuring out the flour. Flour is not too expensive and you may even have some laying about. Basics flour is fine for this recipe too. Once you have measures out the flour then sift it through a sieve with the slat into a mixing bowl.
2. Then you make a well in the middle of the flour and break the eggs in. Use a whisk or fork to whip the mixture together in the bowl. You might get some lumps but if you carry on mixing you will be ok.
3. Next is the hardest part of mixing the pancake batter and it’s not even that hard. You need to slowly mix in the water and milk mixture. There will be lumps at the beginning but if you keep mixing then these should go away.
4. Once you have your pancake batter that you made from scratch you need to melt the butter in a pan. Once it is melted add about 2 tablespoons into the batter. Your batter and pan are now ready to get those pancakes cooking.
5. Make sure that your pan is at a medium heat and add your first pancake. A non stick pan is best for cooking pancakes. After about one minute you need to toss the pancake. This takes a small amount of skill but can be a real fun part of making pancakes.
6. Once your pancake is done to your liking you can move onto the next one and so on. If any of the pancakes start sticking then you may need to add more butter or oil to the pan to carry on.
7. Now we move onto the filling! This comes down to personal choice. There are so many different options you can try and it all depends on your budget for pancakes day and what you enjoy.
Many of the ingredients used to make pancakes from scratch may already be hiding away in your cupboard or are cheap to pick up at the shop, especially if you chip in with your friends. Choosing your fillings is very important. If a lot of you like the same thing then you can buy it all together as well.